Gorges Of The World
So Much To See, Do And Enjoy
Welcome to a website all about the gorges of the world.
If you want a vacation destination with a difference. Would like to experience a new activity. Indulge yourself as you take a short break. See stunning scenery as you cruise, ride, hike, climb or laze.
Then you are going to see places here that will really excite you!
You may have previously thought of them as a big, boring holes in the ground. You will come to see them in a whole new light!
As we travel the gorges of the world together you will discover places that are not only incredibly beautiful but full of great activities to enjoy.
I want you to be inspired to make that visit.
Ok, I do understand that some countries like Australia and China aren`t everyday destinations for most of us, however, others are a lot closer to home. So what if you are looking for somewhere different and exciting to go? Then what you see here could well lead to that trip of a lifetime. It certainly was for me when I canoed through the Katherine Gorge on a recent dream trip to Australia. An experience I will never forget!
At this point I can hear some of you saying "OK, I can understand that they might be interesting to look at but what else is there you can do?"
Well, let`s list a few of the activities you can do when making that visit -
Ok, base jumping and cheese making were said tongue in cheek, but you see what I`m getting at.
What? You don`t want to do any of those things?
Well how about booking into a nice hotel or a quiet bed and breakfast, eating at a great restaurant or just doing some plain old sight seeing.
But sights with a real difference!
Would you like to float downstream on a Rhine River cruise boat, gasping in admiration at the fairytale castles and immaculate vineyards?
Or take a visit to New England in the Fall and see the stunning West Virginia scenery at The New River Gorge? You could gaze in awe at the incredible bridge to nowhere that spans the Royal Gorge in Colorado.
You see there can be something for everyone!
As well as being amazingly beautiful, I am always struck by the incredible history associated with these wonderful places.
I`ll give you some examples.
Lewis and Clark, the great American pioneers travelled along the Columbia River. The explorer John Cabot sailed his tiny wooden ship down the Avon on his way to discover new lands. Julius Caesar crossed the Rhine River in 53 B.C. The complete skeleton of an Ancient Man 9000 years old was unearthed in the caves at Cheddar. For thousands of years Chinese peasants toiled through the Three Gorges of the Yangtze River. The waters of the Katherine River have sustained countless generations of Australian aborigines.
And you can go to all these places!
So come with me, let this site be your guide. Together we will visit the countries of the world seeking out famous, and not yet famous,
gorges to visit!
- Aareschlucht. The Aar Gorge is a narrow chasm, a mile long, that cuts through a limestone ridge in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland.
- Alcantara Gorge
- Alcantara Gorge. This Gorge Is A Popular Tourist Attraction Where Visitors Can Admire The Unusual Rock Formations Created As Lava From Mount Etna Cooled
- Bicaz Gorge
- Bicaz Gorge. This stunning gorge in the Eastern Carpathians of Romania has a part that is so narrow that it is known as "The Neck Of Hell."
- Bungonia Gorge
- Bungonia Gorge. Close to the Hume Highway between Sydney and Melbourne, in an area of outstanding natural beauty, is Australia`s deepest gorge.
- Carnarvon Gorge
- Carnarvon Gorge. The Gorge is the centrepiece of The Carnarvon Gorge National Park, where stunning scenery meets Aboriginal history.
- Cathedral Gorge
- Cathedral Gorge. One of the very first Nevada State Parks. A unique landscape of unusual rock formations
- Cheddar Gorge
- Cheddar Gorge and caves. The very best of Somerset Attractions.
- Columbia River Gorge Oregon
- Columbia River Gorge Oregon.
- Dunajec River Gorge
- Dunajec River Gorge. The Dunajec River, flowing through southern Poland, forms an impressive gorge through the Pieniny Mountains and could soon be added to the List of World Heritage Sites.
- Flaming Gorge
- Flaming Gorge. Cliff walls of bright red rock surround a clear blue lake full of fish and fun!
- Flume Gorge
- Flume Gorge. This is a very picturesque little gorge found in Franconia Notch N.H. which incorporates one of the finest of the New Hampshire State Parks.
- Kali Gandaki Gorge
- Kali Gandaki Gorge.
- Katherine Gorge
- Katherine Gorge. Part of the Nitmiluk National Park in the Northern Territory, this is one of the must see places in Australia.
- Linville Gorge
- Linville Gorge. In the beautiful southern Appalachian Mountain Range is a gorge sometimes called The Grand Canyon of The East
- New River Gorge
- New River Gorge.Of all the wonderful gorges in America, the one on The New River, near Fayetteville, West Virginia is among the most highly visited.
- Grand Canyon Of Pa
- Grand Canyon Of Pa. Pine Creek Gorge, the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, is now an incredibly beautiful valley of deep mature woods, but it was once stripped as bare as a desert by logging.
- Red River Gorge
- Red River Gorge. Climbing, canoeing, hiking. Great family adventures. Hire a cabin and enjoy everything Kentucky has to offer.
- Rhine Gorge
- River Rhine Gorge. See the romantic castles and perfect vineyards on a Rhine Cruise
- Royal Gorge
- Royal Gorge Cañon City Colorado. Visit what was the highest bridge in the world for 70 years. Cross it if you dare!
- Samaria Gorge
- Samaria Gorge. Hiking through this gorge is one of the best things to do in Crete.
- Tallulah Gorge
- Tallulah Gorge. At one time this gorge in Georgia almost rivalled Niagara Falls in popularity. Now it is the centerpiece of one of the most visited Georgia State Parks.
- Taroko Gorge
- Taroko Gorge. Set in the Taroko National Park, the marble walls of this incredible gorge help to create one of the most popular tourist attractions on the island of Taiwan.
- Three Gorges
- Three Gorges. Travel the Three Gorges in China, a place of mists, magic and mystery.
- Verdon Gorge
- Verdon Gorge. A stunning playground inland from the French Riviera
- Vikos Gorge
- Vikos Gorge. This is one of the least populated areas in the whole of Europe and a great place to go walking. Greece at its natural best!
- Vintgar Gorge
- Vintgar Gorge. This stunningly attractive gorge is only about four kilometres away from the popular tourist destination of Lake Bled in Slovenia.
- About This Site
- Why, and how, this website was built
- About Me
- Why write about gorges?
- Contact Me
- Contact Me
- Site Policies
- Site Policies
- Avon Gorge
- Avon Gorge. This beautiful gorge is home to the famous Clifton Suspension Bridge, one of the most best known landmarks in Britain.